Google Classroom can be accessed as the following;
- downloaded as an app on the App Store on a mobile device
- accessed in a web browser at the address – classroom.google.com
- Visiting google.com and signing in with your children’s log in details.
- Then select the icon in the blue circle followed by the Google Classrooms icon is in the red circle.
Locate your Google Classrooms.
Please note, your child has already joined their Google Classroom, they do not need to keep rejoining it.
Using Google Classroom
There are three areas for Google Classroom; stream, classwork and people.
- Stream – this is like a feed you would find on social media platforms. Members of the classroom can write comments here. Other updates are included in the feed like when a new piece of work has been set.
- Classwork – this is where you will find information about work being set and any other attachments.
- People – this is where you can see who else has joined the classroom
If your child is asked to complete a piece of work on a Google app such as Google docs, the work that your child will be set by their teacher will automatically be saved into their personal Google drive. This can be accessed by clicking on the green, yellow and blue triangle icon which is shown below.
It is important that any online work completed is saved into ‘Drive’ as this allows your child’s teacher to access learning that is being completed at home.
Google Classroom expectations
- When commenting or taking part in discussions on the stream, please make sure you are being courteous to others. Children have had discussions in their classroom with regards to being kind towards each other whilst using Google Classroom. It would be great if you as their parent/carer could also reiterate that expectation with them.
- The stream is only to be used for education purposes only. There may be times where your child’s teacher will want feedback from their students or will post certain educational material that would be useful to use at home. If you do, however, have a specific question that needs to be addressed separately, please use the right channels to receive your answer.
- Children are asked to engage in their learning- whether that being with their peers or their teacher. Additionally, children are aware that they are able to post questions related to their learning if they would like help or advice from others.
- Please can you and/or your child check their Google Classroom frequently for stream updates, work submissions, assignments, homework and spellings.